Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let The Blooming Begin!

There is a wooded park about a half hour away from home, a nature sanctuary, that each spring is carpeted with spring flowers. Mostly striped squill, but also clusters of narcissus and these white-to-purple flowers that blanketed the ground in patches.

It is a wooded wonderland, and each spring visit I nearly expect to see fairies darting to and fro among the trees. The frogs chirp in the pond beside the trail, and it is not a rare occasion to see deer or raccoons. During this short-lived bloom time the park has lots of visitors to admire the beautiful blooms.


My friend's mother takes wonderful photos and especially likes to take flower photos. I've wanted to take her here for the past couple years, but the timing has never worked out correctly (the flowers only last usually a couple of weeks).


This year, we made it. And it was a beautiful sunny day - perfect for a stroll in the woods. Both my friend's mother and grandmother came and we had a great time, just some women and some flowers.

Ok, the following photo is the quince in my yard, but it was still part of the same flower-photo day. :)


(An older photo, but below is a shot I took a couple years ago during a visit to the sanctuary. The sight just touched my heart.)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh spring! Love the first photo, nice bokeh. And the last one is very touching, do you know those folks? My mom uses a walker and it breaks my heart that she can't get around like she used to.
    I'm so happy to learn that the pink flowers are quince! I saw them at the zoo and had no idea, but was photographing them anyway! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know them. They were just a couple enjoying the trails. They had family with them as well. It was just so inspiring to see this couple who (assumed) had grown old together and were still out enjoying what they (assumed) love.
    Thanks for the comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely flowers. Hooray for spring!

    ReplyDelete