Friday, March 30, 2012

Happy Birthday To My Beautiful Mumma!

Today she is 49. Beautiful at 49. Enough years to have the experience to guide me in life and offer advice, yet enough youth to understand me and offer a shoulder to lean on and to be one of my very best friends. My beautiful mother.


Each year, each holiday, each special occasion, now reminds us to appreciate each other and our time together. It was just two years ago, only three months before my wedding day, that we were faced with uncertainty and apprehension beyond words. Mom needed an aortic replacement, and she needed it now. It was due to a heart condition we have that we have been monitored for for the last fifteen plus years. We knew this could one day come, but I guess somewhere deep down I never thought it actually would. Especially not before my wedding, RIGHT before my wedding.

In the weeks leading up to the surgery, we were sure to make moments, memories, fearing they could be our last.

We had our first Mother/Daughter Mystery Trip. I took her to a surprise location with surprise activities - Grand Haven for shopping, beach time, lighthouses, and a sailboat cruise - a tradition that we now continue, trading off surprise-planning duties yearly.

We went to the local metropark to spend a sunny afternoon laying in the grass, watching the birds, and taking photos together.

We made arrangements that no child wants to make with their parents - the dreadful "just in case" arrangements.


Then surgery day came. And went. And she was still here. She was in pain, but she was still here, and getting better every day. Still here to guide me, still here to be a shoulder, and still here as one of my very best friends. Still here to walk me down the aisle with my dad. And I hope I never take her for granted, because I know just how lucky I am to have her in my life. My beautiful Mumma. Thank you for every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment