Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Moment

I spent the weekend up north visiting family. It was a wonderful visit, but very difficult at the same time. My grandpa has been progressively getting worse due to Alzheimer's and Parkison's. This will likely be the last time I get to see him. Hospice was brought in about a month back, and his decline is progressing quickly. While it was nice to have some alone time with my grandma and my aunt (who lives with them), it was so hard to see papa in the state he's in, and to say my final goodbyes.

After my visit, I headed home feeling sad and drained. Only 20 or 30 minutes into my drive this eagle swooped across the road in front of my car and perched in a tree beside the road. I quickly found a spot to turn around and pulled off of the road to get some pictures. He sat there for a good 5 minutes while I leaned over and got some shots through the passenger window. I was afraid to get out of my car for fear of scaring him off. What an incredible, majestic bird. When he decided he'd posed long enough, he took a leap and soared off into the distance.

There is no correlation between the eagle and the situation with my grandpa. Yet, for some reason, I found it so comforting. I left that encounter feeling that everything will be alright, and I was so appreciative to have that moment.



3 comments:

  1. Nature is a constant comfort. These photographs are great, maybe the eagle is a sense of the strength that you have, as you walk through this difficult journey. I am sorry to hear your Grandpa is so ill.

    www.saltandsparkle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just amazing!!

    Hope your day is blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are crazy shots! I love the second to last one (extending his wings)! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete