Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Finally Did It!

I finally did my first family photo session. I was a nervous wreck about doing a photo session, and have been putting it off for some time now. But finally, I accepted the fact that if I want to do portrait photography (and I do!), I need to actually TAKE PHOTOS OF PEOPLE.

It is so much "easier" to take photos of birds, flowers - things that have no expectations for how they will turn out. But I had the next best thing - good friends. My best friend and her family have wanted some family photos, as they really don't have any family portraits. It was a great chance to practice. Here are the results:










They have such a beautiful piece of property at their new house that we did the shoot right there in the stunning wooded yard.

It was a great experience for practicing settings, and learning what I'll have to work on "remembering" for each shoot - such as closing my aperture a little when people are not all on the same plane. I usually shoot with it pretty wide open, so I have to remember to adjust that.

I also have to remember to keep the shutter speed pretty fast with the kids. There were a couple photos with the boys playing with bubbles. I got some good shots, but their flailing hads are a little blurred. They were okay shots, and their faces were clear, but would have been better with hands that weren't blurred.





I got a couple shots I really love, and some that I see what I could do to improve. But the best part of it was just that I got over that hurdle of doing my first session. For me, building my comfort level with directing the family and doing the shoot will be the hardest part. And that, is only overcome by lots of practice.



Saline, their cat, even came around to ger her photo taken. She meowed, and seeked attention, then hissed, swatted, and ran off. True Saline style.


So that's it. My first photo session. Lots of room to grow, for sure. Constructive critiques and honest opinions welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! You did an amazing job. I'm sure they were really pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are great! You did a great job! I struggle the most with group shots because I like to shoot at wide apertures and then I don't get everyone in focus! If you're interested I have a link up on my blog today where we share photo and editing tips and I do a lot of posts about portrait photography! You should stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last two shots. The perspective on the family in front of the trees is so interesting! Joining you from live love travel

    ReplyDelete