Thursday, January 19, 2012

Finally!! I made restaurant-tasting Thai food at home!

I have tried several times to make my beloved coconut curry from scratch. I've tried them all - red, yellow, green. It never seems to work out right. On top of finding a really good recipe, I also finally broke down and purchased the one ingredient I swore I would never use - fish sauce. FISH. SAUCE. (Yuck! - just the sound of it!) But it has made ALL the difference.

So I gave this new recipe a whirl and was so excited that it actually tasted like the red curry I get at the restaurant. *Squeal* You don't understand - I love Thai food. I mean, like I REAAALLLY LOVE Thai food.


It's pretty easy and I found everything I needed to use at Meijer. I did, however, use regular coconut milk instead of light coconut milk. My thai food is the one place I will not sacrifice or cut corners.

I added a LOT more crushed red pepper than the recipe called for. I went a little heavy to start, tasted it when it was done and still added some more.

The recipe can be found HERE at MyRecipes.com.

I also made it a second night without the chicken - just mushrooms, onion, green onion and garnished with cilantro. Voila! Coconut soup. But it you do it that way be sure to use extra coconut milk.




Without the chicken to soak up some of the marinade it was a little too concentrated, so I wish I'd had more coconut milk to dilute it a little. Still really yummy though!

No comments:

Post a Comment