Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2011 Personal Goals

I don't believe in new year's resolutions. If you want to make a change in your life, what's wrong with starting today? I feel that rather than waiting for next Monday or the first of next month for a "fresh starting point", it is more empowering to say "right now". "I am going to make this improvement in my life right now. This moment. It is that important to me that it cannot wait, and I will improve my life from this moment forward.

That being said, I don't have a list of changes to make in 2011 starting January 1st. However, that does not mean that I don't have changes to make. I will acknowledge these needed changes as they arise, and will make improvements in my life and myself as the necessary changes become evident to me.

So here goes:
2011 Personal Goal #1: Focus on the positive.
(#1 only in sequence, not necessarily in importance)

And there is a lot of positive in my life to focus on. I am a newlywed (4 months and going strong!). I have an amazing, comunicative, attentive, affectionate, loving and supportive husband. I have a wonderful family (both blood and in-laws) that I am fortunate to have in my life. I am lucky enough to have a job that I have had for over 8 years (since I was 18), despite the economic lull that cost so many their jobs. I have the opportunity to attend college to futher my education, improve myself, and follow my dreams; and I do well in my classes.

I can tend to sometimes see all of my downfalls. I see all the places I'm falling short, yet I go blind to the accomplishments I make and the things I do well, as though somehow I am only as good as my "worst mistake".

From this moment forward, I intend to let my shortcommings go. I will seek to improve my faults, but not focus on them. I read this in an article the other day, and it really stuck with me:
"It’s like getting a flat tire—you fix it and move on,
you don’t poke holes in the rest of your tires."

The article was in regard to weight loss and blogging, but can carry over for just about anything. If you mess up, don't beat yourself up about it. Fix it and move on. This year, starting now, my goal is to fix my flats and keep on rollin' down the road because if I focus too much on my tires, I'll be missing all the beautiful scenerey.

No comments:

Post a Comment